Skip Header

Federal Deposit
Insurance Corporation

Each depositor insured to at least $250,000 per insured bank

Due to the small screen size some information is no longer visible.
Full information available when viewed on a larger screen.

Unclaimed Funds

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) provides deposit insurance to financial institutions and depositors of these institutions. If a financial institution is closed, by a regulatory agency, the FDIC is appointed as Receiver and is responsible for the payment of insured deposits and the liquidation of the remaining assets. If you did not claim your funds previously you now have another opportunity to do so. Review the "How to claim your funds" section below and complete the attached form.

Why does FDIC have unclaimed funds?

When a failed financial institution (bank or savings and loan) with federal deposit insurance is liquidated, the FDIC resolution division is responsible for paying:

  • Unclaimed insured deposits up to the insurance limit
  • Dividends declared on excess deposits over the insurance limit
  • Dividends declared on general creditor claims
  • Funds distributed to the shareholders of the failed institution

In many instances these funds remain unclaimed because:

  • The insured deposit is never claimed from the assuming financial institution
  • The dividend check on the excess deposit amount is not cashed
  • The dividend check on the general creditor claim is not cashed
  • The check to the shareholder is not cashed
  • A valid address is not on file and the dividend check has been returned to the FDIC

What funds are available?

The database for this site contains unclaimed funds for either unclaimed insured deposits (for receiverships established between January 1, 1989 and June 28, 1993), or for dividend checks issued which were undeliverable or never cashed. As receiverships are terminated, under Federal Law 12 U.S.C., 1822(e); see also Pub. L. No. 103-44, section 2(b) unclaimed insured funds can no longer be claimed and data will be removed from the website. Dividends, however, for uninsured portions of a deposit might be claimed post termination if a dividend check was returned for a bad address.

How to claim your funds:

If you find your name, and you had funds in the referenced financial institution, please complete the attached form, have it notarized, and mail it to FDIC per the instructions below.

  1. Print or download the FDIC Claimant Verification form. Use the print function in your browser to print the form. Then, complete the form by filling in the requested information in pen. Please include the FDIC Reference # obtained from the on-line database (next to your name).
  2. Have the completed form notarized by a notary public.
  3. Mail completed, notarized form to:
    Attn: Claims Department - Unclaimed Funds
    1601 Bryan Street
    Dallas, Texas 75201
    Be sure to include the FDIC Reference # obtained from the on-line database.
  4. You will be notified by an FDIC representative within 30 days of receipt of form. You may be notified in writing, by phone, or by receipt of check. If you have further inquiries, you may contact FDIC via E-Mail inquiries for status of claim.

Search Options (Data Last Updated 10/16/2017)

Before doing searches on unclaimed funds, please read the FDIC's general disclaimer.

Search options are name, business name, or official item check number. Your Name/Check Number is a required field. To narrow your search you may enter Failed Institution Name, City, or State.

Reference Number Fund Owner Name Institution Name City State Claim Number Check Date Check Number

Back to Top